The ZyXEL omni.net Receives ' Best Buy ' Award From PC World
ANAHEIM, CA, July 28, 1997- PC World has awarded the ZyXEL omni.net ISDN terminal adapter with its "Best Buy" award in its August 1997 issue1. Based on its price:performance ratio, ZyXEL��s omni.net took tops honors, and continues to prove to be the best choice in the ISDN terminal adapter market.
"We are not surprised that the omni.net has again come out on top in terminal adapter tests and comparisons," says Munira Brooks, ZyXEL marketing and sales manager. "The omni.net is a solid product with peak performance, unbeatable features and the most affordable price. This honor just reinforces our claim that no other products on the market pack as much power and performance into one package as the omni.net."
PC World tested the omni.net against ten other leading terminal adapters found in the market, and chose ZyXEL��s omni.net based on its installation, configuration and performance. In addition to labeling ISDN as "still the fastest and most widely available technology of the high-bandwidth options in the market today," the editors of PC World also praised the omni.net for "speeding data across the wires, installing in a jiffy and simplifying sharing ISDN with analog phones and fax devices."
The editors additionally highlighted the benefits of external TAs vs. internal models. The biggest difference noted is the inability to attach a phone and fax machine to an internal unit, a beneficial feature required by the majority of terminal adapter customers. Although internal units avoid a few speed obstacles, features such as status lights, an on/off switch and continuous power to your connected analog devices provide a much more user-friendly and efficient environment for demanding users.
Technical Features of the Award-Winning omni.net
The ZyXEL omni.net offers simultaneous analog calls using two of its analog ports. Users can connect a combination of any two analog devices, such as telephone, fax machine, modem and answering machine. The omni.net allows users to send or receive data to or from a modem, talk on the phone or send and receive faxes at the same time �V all using one ISDN line.
Features of the omni.net include:
- Multi-Auto Answer which automatically answers and identifies calls as analog (analog port) or digital calls, and routes them accordingly. It automatically detects and accepts incoming calls for PPP, V.120 and V.110 freeing the user from manual protocol configuration.
- PPP Multilink Protocol allows for full-bandwidth of 128Kbps with other ISDN terminal adapters. It can be used for both the "call-" and "answer-" modes.
Bandwidth on Demand which automatically adds and removes the second B Channel based on data traffic.
- Call Bumping automatically drops a B Channel during a Multilink PPP call when an incoming or outgoing analog call is detected.
- Universal compatibility and performance by supporting AT&T 5ESS, Northern Telecom DMS-100, Siemens EWSD switches with National ISDN-1 and Customs protocols.
- Compatibility with all popular operating environments including Windows ��95� , Windows NT� , OS/2� , DOS� , Macintosh� , UNIX� and Novell� .
- High-speed serial connection using a capable IO card allows users to reach data transfer speeds of up to 460.8Kbps, reducing data bottlenecking at the DTE Interface.
- With the choice of V.42bis compression over V.120 and Stac� Compression over PPP, users can transfer data at the maximum speed of 460.8Kbps, reducing transfer time and cost of line usage.
- Call Back Security with Password Protection for up to 40 users.
PAP (Password Authentication Protocol), allowing the users to authenticate connections to the Internet or Intranet.
- Flash EPROMs that allow users to easily update features, and the Kernel Recovery Mode which provides hassle-free recovery of failed FLASH uploads.
Pricing and Availability
The omni.net has a suggested retail price of US $299, and is one of the most economical communication solutions currently available on the market. "No other manufacturer offers the same combination of features, ease of use and tried and true performance at this price," says Brooks.
ZyXEL��s ISDN product line also includes the Omni TA128 ISDN terminal adapter with dual DTE serial ports and dual analog ports, the Elite 2864I ISDN terminal adapter with a built-in V.34 modem, the Prestige 2864I ISDN remote access router with V.34 connectivity and the new Prestige 128 ISDN remote access router. With the features of ZyXEL ISDN products, they comprise the only product line of its kind in its price range.
About ZyXEL Communications
ZyXEL Communications Inc., (http://www.zyxel.com), located in Anaheim, Calif., is a leading supplier of high-speed ISDN terminal adapters, ISDN remote access routers, modems, and compatible LAN/WAN data communications products. Since its inception, ZyXEL, has built a strong reputation as a price/performance leader in connectivity devices by providing high quality and high performance at affordable prices.