ZyXEL IES-5000 Chassis-based IP DSLAM Offers Residential and Business with Triple Play and Network Convergence
Hsinchu, August 8, 2005 -- ZyXEL Communications Corp. (TSE:2391), world's leading broadband access solutions provider, today announces IES-5000, its latest flagship of the company's IP DSLAM series. The IES-5000 is a 6.5U-height chassis-based Central Office system featuring the latest DSL technologies, robust system design, comprehensive IP-centric QoS and security features. IES-5000 allows ISPs and Telco operators to provide up to 384 DSL ports in a frame for delivering residential (triple play) and business (network convergence) services to subscribers for higher average revenue per user (ARPU) and thus the profits.
"With the launch of IES-5000, ZyXEL becomes a competent player of the central office Telco market," said Dr. P.C. Lee, VP of Telco/ISP Central Office Equipment Business Unit at ZyXEL. "The system not only satisfies the performance, security, flexibility and reliability aspects of carrier-grade requirements, its intuitive, cost-effective and versatile provisioning capability will definitely enable ISPs/Telco customers to take the lead in the competitive market."
Designed to support a large amount of DSL subscribers in a tight space, IES-5000 is a 6.5RU-height, 10-slot chassis-based system with a separated 5RU splitter chassis. Two slots are reserved for management and switch cards, and 8 are designated for DSL line termination cards. Each DSL line card features 48 ports, enabling 7 shelves (2688 ports) without splitter chassis or 4 shelves (1536 ports) with splitter chasses on a standard rack.
ZyXEL IES-5000 allows service providers to offer hybrid and latest DSL services by employing three hot-swappable 48-port DSL line cards: ADSL2+ over POTS, ADSL2+ over ISDN and G.SHDSL.bis. All these cards can be inserted and operated in each DSL line slot.
Service providers can construct robust and flexible network infrastructure easily through ZyXEL IES-5000. The Management and Switch card of IES-5000 features four GE ports for uplink and subtending, including two SFP-combo ports and two SFP fiber interfaces to support flexible deployment in a ring or tree topology. Moreover, the management and switch cards can be configured to bolster failover functionality; enabling the switch to takes less than 1 second to jump from the failed line to the standby one.
IES-5000 guarantees end-to-end Quality-of-Service through complete ATM QoS (UBR/VBR/CBR) and IP Qos (Packet classification/Rate Limiting/Queue Scheduling) on the network termination cards. It also supports non-blocking traffic forwarding and multicast functions: 256 multicast groups and 384 copies per group are supported. More than 30 multicast IGMP join/leave requests can be handled per second, and the maximum channel zapping processing time is less than 250ms. All these features enable service operators to offer multimedia service such as VoIP, Near VOD, Broadcast TV and TV on demand effortlessly.
Along with providing G.SHDSL.bis service to business customers, service operators are able to offer up to 20Mbps bandwidth symmetric VPN connection with leased line quality in terms of security and Quality-of-Service, while the provisioning time and cost are much less than traditional TDM leased lines.
IES-5000 provides multiple management interfaces such as local console port, Web-based EMS, Telnet and SNMP v1/v2-based EMS (NetAtlas). All the management features include Alarm and Status Surveillance, Configuration Management, Performance Management and Fault Management. Legitimate administers can be divided into three authority levels for different needs, allowing telco operators to take advantage of the mechanism to offer wholesale business to CLECs and ISPs. More information on ZyXEL IES-5000 please visit http://www.zyxel.com/product/model.php?indexcate=1122369315&indexFlagvalue=1021873566
ZyXEL IES-5000 has the following components to suit business needs of different markets:
- IES-5000M: a 6.5U-height 10-slot Gigabit backplane main chassis with 2 power input modules and a 6-FAN module
- MSC-1000G: a failover-enabled management and switch card with 4 GE ports for uplink and subtending, one FE port for out-of-band management, and one RS-232 (DB-9) port as serial console
- ALC1248G-51: a hot-swappable 48-port ADSL2+ Annex A line card with separated POTS splitter
- ALC1248G-53: a hot-swappable 48-port ADSL2+ Annex B line card with separated ISDN splitter
- SLC1248G-22: a hot-swappable 48-port G.SHDSL/G.SHDSL.bis line card
The system and its components are currently available and can be ordered via ZyXEL's global sales network.
IP Express Product Portfolio
ZyXEL IP Express product family consists of a series of IP DSLAM products with footprints from mini-, medium- to large-scale.
- IES-1000: a mini multi-service IP DSLAM capable of supporting up to 24 ADSL2+ ports or 16 G.SHDSL ports. IES-1000 is designed for small/remote PoPs and campus application. It also provides T1/E1 replacement for business applications.
- IES-1248: a temperature-harden 48-port "pizza-box" IP DSLAM with built-in splitter card function. It is a full-range ADSL offering (ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ Annex A and Annex B) with 2GE uplink and AC/DC power. IES-1248 is designed for MxU and remote site applications
- IES-2000/2500: a 6-slot 4RU IP DSLAM with 120-port ADSL2+ Annex A/Annex B ports and G.SHDSL ports. IES-2000/2500 has 4 FE/GE uplinks and is designed for CO and MTU/MHU applications.
- IES-3000: a 16-slot 10RU IP DSLAM with 360-port ADSL2+ Annex A/Annex B ports and G.SHDSL ports. IES-3000 has redundancy and failover network termination card design for CO applications.
- IES-5000 is the up-to-date flagship for the IP Express product family.
About ZyXEL Communications
ZyXEL Communications Corp. (TSE: 2391), located in Hsinchu, Taiwan, is the world's largest DSL router provider (Gartner, July 2004). ZyXEL's broad line of Internet Protocol-based (IP) networking solutions includes access multiplexors, customer premise equipment, Internet security and Wireless LAN equipment, enabling high-performance network services for SOHO, small to mid-sized businesses and service providers. ZyXEL works closely with worldwide network equipment vendors, telecommunications companies, ISPs, and other major businesses. For more information, visit the company's Website at http://www.zyxel.com.