Carnegie Telephone Helps Local Hospital Go Wireless with ZyXEL’s Dual-Purpose Wi-Fi Solution, USA
“Our wireless network deployment with ZyXEL devices worked flawlessly offering seamless coverage to the hospital’s staff, patients and guests. And we had great support from ZyXEL engineers throughout the deployment.”
“ZyXEL solution came out ahead of a major competitor by hundreds of dollars.”
James Powers, Carnegie Telephone, USA
Carnegie Tri-County Municipal Hospital wanted to have a managed solution that meets these requirements:
1. High performance wireless network that could be segmented in to three mutually isolated networks — one for employees, one for patients and their families and the last for equipment like scanners, printers and other Wi-Fi enabled medical equipment;
2. The network has to be easily and remotely manageable by Carnegie, ensuring quick deployment and trouble shooting for maximum uptime;
3. Implementation on a limited budget for capital investment.
Carnegie Tri-County Municipal Hospital, a 21-bed facility in rural Oklahoma, was experiencing growing demand for wireless networking from their staff and patients. The hospital, which houses several clinics, offices and offers a variety of outpatient services, would benefit from a mobile Wi-Fi network, improving staff productivity and patient experience. They formulated a plan to upgrade their existing network with enhanced wireless access throughout the facility, as well as increase security and simplify management.
Solutions and Benefits
Carnegie Telephone is a state-of-art telecommunications company that has been serving the local community of Oklahoma since 1903. It has been on the forefront of offering digital communications, HDTV and fibre broadband in the community and has been looked upon as a trusted source for technology advice and solutions. In order to meet Carnegie Tri-County Municipal Hospital’s demands, Carnegie Telephone required a security appliance with features including Content Filtering, as well as Ethernet switches and high performance wireless Access Points (APs).
In the product selection for the Carnegie Tri-County Municipal Hospital’s wireless network, Carnegie Telephone chose ZyXEL’s NWA3160-N 802.11n wireless APs. These APs had all the important enterprise features such as multiple SSIDs and VLAN support to build multiple virtual wireless networks for the hospital. But the real kicker was a built-in controller that could be used to control up to 24 other NWA3000-N series APs from ZyXEL. Therefore Carnegie Telephone could deploy several APs with one assigned as controller, and all the rest as managed clients. This set-up offered unique advantages including:
1. No need to configure all the APs individually as the controller pushed configuration information to all the managed APs;
2. The same technique will work for future upgrades and configuration changes;
3. Dynamic channel selection eliminates the labor-intensive channel planning process, simplifying deployment;
4. Easy guest network set-up, authentication and management anywhere on the network;
5. Better security since authentication and access policies are enforced from a single point.
The NWA3160-N APs could be powered over Ethernet (PoE) so they could be conveniently installed anywhere without requiring a power outlet. Finally, these APs turned out to be hundreds of dollars less than competition, enabling Carnegie Telephone to meet the hospital’s budget requirements. Carnegie hospital’s two-story building has been wired or wirelessly networked by Carnegie Telephone using a complete ZyXEL solution. The installation was relatively simple and network has been humming without a hitch since it was turned on. The hospital management is pleased with the performance boost they have received from the new network, staff and patients are now able to access Internet wirelessly, and Carnegie Telephone is pleased to have a satisfied customer.